Leaves are turning green, flowers are budding, the daylight is extending…all the wonderful signs that spring is coming, and with it, begins the latest cycle of seasonal allergies. Are you one of the many gearing up your arsenal of over-the-counter anti-histamines, decongestants, and allergy eye drops? Perhaps you’re a year-round sufferer and the battle is on-going. Regardless of the severity, I feel for you and hope these naturopathic tips will help you take control of your symptoms.
Clean Pollen Carriers
Be mindful of your hair, clothing, window and door sills, and even your bedding that could carry pollen particles from outdoors. It may help to shower after being outdoors, wipe down window and door sills regularly, and wash pillow cases frequently to minimize pollen in your home. A good HEPA filter can help too.
Quercetin, found in apples, is a bioflavonoid cited in numerous research studies to decrease histamine levels, stabilize mast cells (histamine producers), and reduce
certain inflammatory markers. 1 The result? Significant improvement in allergy symptoms. Add vitamin C for extra immune support system and allergy relief.
Raw Local Honey
A randomized placebo-controlled trial demonstrated honey can significantly improve allergic rhinitis (i.e. runny nose). 2 Next time you’re at your local grocer or farmer’s
market, pick up some raw local honey. Start now because it takes a few weeks for this helpful therapy to work its magic.
Probiotics are more than just micro-organisms helping to balance our gut flora. Probiotics can help balance our immune system. During allergy season, your immune system may heighten in response to the allergens. A good probiotic can help calm your immune response, and thus, lessen your symptoms that result from immune system reacting to allergens.
Final Words on Seasonal Allergies
Seasonal allergies can range from mild annoyance to severely debilitating. Depending on the severity, natural medicine and management can be challenging to handle on your own. Remove the guesswork and seize control of your symptoms by scheduling an appointment with one of our doctors to help you on your journey to wellness.
Visit our medicinary to try our top-recommended products. Our doctors and staff are happy to help you find the right product for the best relief!
• Pro-Aller: Pekana (Homeopathic Allergy Drops)
• Vitamin C with Flavonoids: Thorne
• Quercetin Ascorbate: Designs for Health
• Quercetin + Nettles: Designs for Health
• D-Hist: Orthomolecular Products
• UltraFlora Balance (Probiotic): Metagenics
• Orthomega 820 (Fish Oil): Orthomolecular Products
• Weng Z, Zhang B, Asadi S, et al. Quercetin is more effective than cromolyn in blocking human mast cell cytokine release and inhibits contact dermatitis and photosensitivity in humans. PLoS One 2012; 7:e33805.
• Asha’ari ZA, Ahmad MZ, Jihan WS, Che CM, Leman I. Ingestion of honey improves the symptoms of allergic rhinitis: evidence from a randomized placebo-controlled trial in the East coast of Peninsular Malaysia. Ann Saudi Med. 2013 Sep-Oct;33(5):469-75.
• Passalacqua G et al. ARIA update: I—systematic review of com- plementary and alternative medicine for rhinitis and asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol.